Studies for the Synthesis of History of Slovene Towns in the Age of Feudalism (to 1848)
Principal Investigator at ZRC SAZUMiha Kosi, PhD
Študije za sintezo zgodovine slovenskih mest v dobi fevdalizma (do 1848)
Project TeamBoris Golec, PhD, Barbara Šterbenc Svetina, MA
Duration1 July 2004–30 June 2007
Financial SourceJavna agencija za raziskovalno dejavnost Republike Slovenije
In the course of the previous three-year research on the history of Slovene towns in the Middle Ages and in Early Modern Times we have established considerable gaps in enlightening some concrete problems of development of towns. The current knowledge does not yet enable an integral synthetic presentation of the history of origin and development of Slovene urban organisms, which is a long - term goal. In the new project, we will carry out further thorough studies of individual problems. The research comprises urban settlements of the entire Slovene territory 25 -historical towns; for an integral approach, it will be urgent to include a study of important boroughs (that were so far not considered). Due to historically closest economic and cultural correlation and mutual influences, the approach comprises important urban centres in neighbouring countries. Problem complexes that will be stressed are the following:
- Economy (non - agrarian activities, especially trade and transport, crafts, craft-guilds);
- Town constitution and administration;
- Space development (town territory, urban development, building history);
- Defensive functions of towns (town walls, military conflicts, sieges);
- Health and social conditions;
- Education (schools, libraries);
- Confessional image of towns (Church history, religions).
The phases of work include:
- Analytical researches of individual urban settlements with comparative approach. Work on published sources and on original archival material;
- Synthesizing results with the help of scientific literature;
- Elaboration of a bibliography of Slovene towns and boroughs.
The purpose of the project is elaboration of basic studies for an encyclopaedic series on Slovene towns following the model of the "OEsterreichisches Staedtebuch", and for a historical atlas of Slovene towns. The publication of those works will be technically and financially demanding project, with necessary interdisciplinary cooperation of different experts and support of corresponding institutions. Such surveys of the history of towns are to have a broadest extent of applicability, significance for numerous scientific disciplines, and at the same time to internationally comparably present the history of Slovene urban settlements and the achievements of Slovene historical science in that field.